The Writing Center provides students and members of the public personalized assistance at all stages of the writing process and in all writing tasks, regardless of the course or discipline. Through its onsite and online tutors and services, the Writing Center supports the development of confident, effective communicators and critical readers.
The Writing Center provides students assistance with:
- Understanding assignments and expectations for academic and business writing
- Writing for specific disciplines (WID)
- Using sources, citations, quoting, and paraphrasing
- Developing thesis statements, paragraphing, and organizing the text
- Planning for writing research papers
- Conducting research using library, and web resources
- Writing resumes, and cover letters
- Evaluating sources, integrating secondary material into a text, and writing annotated bibliographies
- Developing business writing skills (e.g. effective e-mails, letters, reports, and web material)
- Using language correctly and effectively (e.g. grammar, spelling, vocabulary, terminology)
And particularly for graduate students:
- Preparing conference presentations
- Developing and writing Capstone Projects and dissertations
The Writing Center offers tutoring assistance either live or via the Blackboard e-learning platform.
In a typical 45-minute session, students and tutors discuss the task or prompt, review the draft, and discuss ways to improve it with effective writing strategies. Tutors focus on teaching strategies for composing, revising, editing, and proofreading.
Online tutoring is provided either live via video-conferences (synchronous) or over the course of the term through the Blackboard e-learning platform (asynchronous). The tutor works on the student’s paper without the student’s physical presence.
How to arrange an online video-conference session
To successfully participate in an e-tutoring session, you will need the following:
- Internet connection
- headphones (optional)
We provide editing services to the public, including:
- Assistance and guidance on a variety of writing such as academic essays and research, business reports and web writing as well as grammar, spelling, vocabulary, terminology, and language usage.
- Guidance on conducting research on the web and at the library as well as help with evaluating sources, integrating secondary material into a text, writing correct annotated bibliographies.
- Immediate assistance with CVs, résumés, personal statements.