Applications are accepted throughout the year. You may apply by submitting an application for a Hellenic American University graduate degree program at any time during the year.
In this section you’ll find information on:
- Application requirements for all graduate programs
- Additional Requirements for the MAAL-TESOL ESOL Endorsement
- Additional Requirements for the MA in Translation and MA in Conference Interpreting
- Additional requirements for the Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics
You will need to submit the following required admissions material:
- A completed Application Form for the Graduate Programs or the Application Form for the PhD in Applied Linguistics
- An undergraduate (or graduate in the case of the Ph.D. program) degree from an accredited college or university with at least a B (3.0) grade point average;
- For those applicants whose native language is not English, the University requires evidence of proficiency in English. See the separate section on English-language Proficiency for a list of language certificates and test results that the University accepts as such evidence.
- Signed and sealed envelopes containing official transcripts from each college/university (graduate or undergraduate programs) previously attended. These may either be sent directly from the institution, or received by the applicant in sealed envelopes and submitted with the application. The sealed envelope must not have been opened by the applicant under any circumstances in order for the transcript to be valid;
- An up-to-date résumé;
- The required essay;
- Two (2) letters of recommendation for the Graduate Programs or for the Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics ;
- A copy of the applicant’s driver’s license or a state or federal government-issued identity card;
- A non-refundable application fee of $70 ($140 for the Ph.D. program).
All the material submitted for admission should consist of either the original documents or notarized copies. Documents that are not in English are accompanied by certified English translations.
Making sure that the material you submit is accurate and complete will help you avoid unnecessary delays in the admissions process. All applications and support materials are kept by Hellenic American University and a copy by Hellenic American College. The Office of Admissions does not return application materials to the applicant once they have been submitted.
For those applicants whose native language is not English, the University will accept the following forms of evidence:
- An undergraduate or graduate degree from an institution in which English is the language of instruction
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum iBT total score of 90
- Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) with a minimum score of 850
- Michigan English Language Assessment (MELAB) with a minimum score of 81
- University of Michigan or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5
- Other evidence of proficiency will be reviewed individually
Applicants interested in obtaining ESOL Endorsement must also provide evidence of US teaching certificate and intermediate knowledge of a foreign language.
Evidence of Second Foreign Language (if involved) or Greek Language Proficiency (if the candidate is not a native Greek speaker) for MAT and MACI applicants.
Acceptable forms of evidence include:
- an undergraduate or graduate degree from an institution in which the second foreign language is the language of instruction
- equivalent certificate of proficiency for the second foreign language (if involved)
- equivalent certificate of proficiency for the Greek language (for non-Greek citizens)
- other evidence of proficiency will be reviewed individually
Entrance Exams for the MACI and MAT
For the MAT program, candidates without a background in linguistics, language and literature or translation/interpreting, are asked to take an entrance exam to test their preliminary translation competence. The exam includes the translation of a text from English into Greek in two hours. The text is about 300 words long and you are allowed to use dictionaries.
Applicants for admission to the MACI who fail to demonstrate sufficient proficiency in English during the interview will be asked to take an entrance exam. The test is administered on site and involves an oral translation of a general text from English into Greek.
Admission requirements are the same as those in all other Hellenic American University graduate programs with the following exceptions:
- Applicants should already hold a master’s degree
- Two reference letters must be submitted
- Applicants also need to submit a sample of academic writing